Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Courage does not always roar.

Last cycles verdict was, as usual, a huge negative. I was technically two days late - But got a negative HPT on Feb. 15th before starting my cycle on Feb. 16. 

I called my RE's office on Monday, and they wanted me to come in on Tuesday to discuss a new plan, which was introducing hMG injections along with the Femara + Ovidrel shot. I made an appt. for Tues. at 2pm and as soon as I got off the phone I began researching hMG injections, and I immediately did NOT like what I was seeing. 

$2000 to $5000 for EVERY cycle? At this point I was defeated, overwhelmed and just tired.
We went to the appt. the next day, and had the consultation with the office's nurse practioner and she was super sweet and very informative. She went over costs, and gave us some other purchasing options - If we went through a specialty pharmacy, we could get the medication for $90 a dose instead of $110 to $200 a dose, and also get the Ovidrel for $110 instead of $150. Any kind of savings is awesome in my opinion. We also asked her about insemination due to Andrew possibly going to Atlanta for an entire month - She told us that would be $408 (not bad at all!) and they would offer the procedure anyway if we had good follicles produced! We might decide to go with that anyway, since she said A's sperm analysis was amazing, and we could have a really good chance with IUI because its usually only offered for both female and male factor infertility. 


We are definitely keeping that in mind. Before the end of the consultation, she told us to call our insurance company to make sure that they would not cover ANY of the costs of the medication before she went ahead and sent in our prescription to the specialty pharmacy.

I didn't expect to get anything at all - but we tried anyway. To my complete and utter shock, they COVER it. We got Menopur for $50 and the Ovidrel for $90. Those prices are for three months! We'll be spending just over $500 for three months of medication (hopefully we won't need three more months) whereas we would have been paying close to $2000 per month. I could not have been more happy yesterday. :) 

I'm pretty excited. I think having a future plan helps the grieving process when you get a BFN. I have something to look forward too, and I have hope to hold on too.


Anyway, the plan is Femara CD3-7, and Menopur CD7-12 possibly to CD13 with Ovidrel on CD12 or CD13. I have an ultrasound on the 27th of this month to see how my follicles are growing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed extra hard.



-J

No comments:

Post a Comment